On 16 February 1906 John E. Bailey platted land he owned in Forest Grove and created Baileys Addition. Situated in the Harvey Clark Donation Land Claim #37, it is located just south and east of the South Park Addition. It consists of 3 Blocks, each originally crossed by an alley fifteen feet wide. Block 3 contains four lots (100’ X 100’) with an alley on the south side.
When Pacific Coast Condensed Milk Company opened its second milk condensery just a few hundred feet south of here in February 1903, at the very beginning of its business life. Elbridge Stuart was the founder of the company and he placed his nephew Harry H. Stuart in charge as Superintendent. One of the products made there was named Carnation Milk and the area surrounding the processing plant became known as “Carnation”.
After working there for four years, and while living on present day 17th Avenue, Harry Stuart purchased this lot from Bailey in 1907. He immediately put it into the ownership of the Pacific Coast Condensed Milk Company, which was later renamed the Carnation Milk Company. This home was occupied by its superintendents. First, from 1907 and 1908 by Harry H. Stuart and his family. Then in October of 1908, another employee Mr. Phillip G. Kinzer lived here. Both men went on to hold important offices in the Carnation Company.
On 31 June 1912 Ernest F. Burlingham bought the home from Carnation Milk Company and moved his family in. Burlingham was a businessman and his Burlingham Seed Company celebrated its 100 year anniversary in the year 2011.
Ernest’s wife Annie died in 1926 but he continued to live here with his daughter Ruth until selling it in 1945 to Ruth who was a teacher and her husband Joseph M. Loomis.
Joseph who had been co-owner of a local hardware store, was Mayor of Forest Grove in the 1930’s, on the board of trustees of Pacific University, Tuality Hospital, Forest Grove National Bank and the United Church of Christ. Joseph also was a school board member, past president of the Forest Grove Rotary Club, past master of Holbrook Masonic Lodge No. 30 and a charter member of the Forest Grove Gleemen. He operated a fuel oil distributorship, Oil Heat Inc. and remained active in his company until his death in 1966.
In 1953 the Loomis’s sold the home to Leon W. and Emma J. Binder.
In 1959 the home was sold to Millard F. and Sue Trout
In 1965 the home was sold to Virgil T. and Norma V. Cedergreen
The home remained in the Cedergreens' possession until 2013 when it was sold to their granddaughter Jenna R. and Timothy W. Harms, the third generation of the family to live here.
The Friends of Historic Forest Grove are grateful to the Cedergreen and Harms families for caring for the Carnation House. We are pleased to recognize the significance that this wonderful home has played in the rich history of our town.