Historic Property Recognition Program Plaques Two Historic HomesDecember 20, 2019
On December 20, 2019 Friends of Historic Forest Grove recognized two more area homes with a plaque designating their historic significance.
About The Program
In 1966 the National Historic Preservation Act tasked all of the states to inventory and evaluate historic resources within their boundaries.
As part of their new responsibilities, Oregon developed the State Historic Preservation Office and passed those tasks on to local cities. Since that time Forest Grove’s Historic Landmarks Board has continued the significant project of identifying all historic places in Forest Grove. They have periodically created surveys which involve visual evaluations of properties including basic location information, descriptive features, plus an estimate of the age and architectural integrity of resources. FHFG is pleased to compliment those surveys by recognizing the importance of Historic properties in the Forest Grove area.
Thanks to the FHFG Historic Property Recognition Committee for rejuvenating this program. The committee members include: Jim Hilsenkopf, co-chair; Melody Haveluck, co-chair; Carol Drew, Joyce Sauber, Ginny Carlson, Carol Taylor, and Carol Hilsenkopf.
1921 Louis and Faye Schultz House, owners Herb and Carol Drew, 2204 15th Avenue
Louis Schultz and Faye Templeton married on January 19, 1921. Faye’s parents, John and Anna Templeton gifted the newlywed couple a new house which was located directly across the street from their own home. Louis and Faye Schultz lived here for 22 years until 1943 when it was sold to Harley and Adeline Barber. Later owners were Judge James and Beverly Young. They owned the home until 1969 when it was purchased by its current owners Herb and Carol Drew. Their loving care over the past 50 years is testament to their pride in this wonderful historic home.
1909 Raleigh and Maude Peterson House, owners Roger and Susan Nipp, 2024 18th Avenue
For many years this home was identified as the Latta House, but more recent research through property records and newspaper reports of the time has shown that Raleigh and Maude Peterson bought the property from Maude Latta on July 24, 1909. Five weeks later Raleigh “has the basement put in and carpentry will follow”.
On 16 December, 1909 The Washington County News announces “Mr. and Mrs. Raleigh Peterson moved last week into their pretty new bungalow on Second Avenue, which was recently completed”.
By 1920 Raleigh and Maude were living in Portland. The 1930 census shows Anna and John P. Linden living here. John died in 1934 and Anna continued to live there until 1954. Other names attached to the Peterson House are James V. Kyle (1960) and Elizabeth A. Posz (1960’s).
Roger and Susan Nipp purchased this home in 1983 and have lived in this well-maintained bungalow now 36 years.