This Queen Anne Cottage style house was built in 1891 by local builder William Kane and was purchased by Mary Rose (Tompkins) Sawyer.
Mary Rose Tompkins was born May 29, 1866 to William M. and Sarah J. Tompkins in Cornelius, Oregon. She was the second of four girls and two boys to this early area farm family. At the age of 25 in 1888 she wed Damon E. Sawyer of Yamhill, but the marriage didn’t last very long.
In 1891 Mary bought the home just north of local builder William Kane who owned all of Block 14. It is believed that Kane had constructed this wonderful example of Queen Anne Cottage Style home next to his own.
Marylived here for 3 years before she married Dr. Charles F. Miller, a local Druggist. Coming from a prestigious family that included his father and brother who both served in the Oregon State Legislature, Miller was successful in his own right, owning a thriving drug store in Forest Grove. Mary sold this house to Estelle Price in 1901.
The Forest Grove Historic Landmarks Board has described as “one of the more ornate houses of any style in Forest Grove”
- Year Built: 1891
- Original Owners: Mary Rose Sawyer
- Style: Queen Anne Cottage style
- Address: 1924 Elm St, Forest Grove OR 97116
FHFG recognized this property as a significant historic property in October 2020. A plaque was presented to current home owners George and Vera Deines.
Other Recognized Properties
Click here to get more information about our Historic Property Recognition Program
About Jim Hilsenkopf
Jim grew up 10 miles east of Forest Grove in Reedville, OR. After graduating from Hillsboro Union High School, he traveled the world in the U.S. Navy for 21 years. Jim says that becoming a member of FHFG has provided him with the opportunity to make new friends while learning all about this wonderful town. Jim enjoys researching and sharing with others whatever he can find about the many houses and structures that are worthy of Historic Plaques in Forest Grove.